Direct Reporting Line:Programme Manager
The overall purpose of the job is to initiate, lead, manage, facilitate and influence, within the formal structures of the campus, all aspects of academic coherence and integrity of the programme.
The role includes the co-ordination of the logistical and other issues regarding the day-to-day delivery of the programme and the provision of resources for the effective functioning of the programme. The constant review of feedback from students and lecturers to inform suitable, appropriate student support strategies.
While the focus is on the academic activities on the campus, the incumbent needs to be cognisant of the operational functions linked to teaching and learning, particularly those of the Programme Manager, other Programme Co-ordinators, Lecturers, Tutors within the faculty and the Operations teams. In all respects, the incumbent will ensure that customer service standards are met and/or exceeded with a specific focus on improving student throughput rates.
Key Performance Area:
Co-ordination of the Programme
- Conducts Programme meetings with the academic team allocated for that qualification.
- Co-ordinates, reviews and escalates, where required, the outcomes of the programme evaluations conducted by lecturers and students.
- Ensures that students and lecturers within a programme are clear on the expectation of the different assessment strategies and timelines.
- Conducts programme co-ordinator class visits weekly (class visits we propose that they be done fortnightly as per the weekly bulletin 83:8.7) This is to minimise disturbances in the teaching and learning but at the same time keeping on the pulse of the programme by way of communication with the class reps. to ensure that the day-to-day functioning of the programme meets the institutional needs.
- Co-ordinates and conducts internal moderation for the academic team within the programme.
- Consistently drives quality feedback to learners on all formative assessments (formal and informal assessments).
- Monitors academic performance of students within a programme and implements suitable academic interventions, in consultation with the lecturer. This includes but is not limited to, boosters, tutorials, practice sessions, workshops etc.
- Monitors academic performance of lecturers within a programme and escalates, where required, to the Programme Manager.
- Engages with the class representatives to ensure there is common understanding of expectation from
- Lecture preparation, delivery and evaluating of learning experience
- Maintain and develop a teaching portfolio
- Monitor student success and implement suitable interventions
- On average 10 15 hours per week.
- Assesses performance of learners after each assessment cycle (formal and informal) by completing a question-by-question analysis.
- Submit to student and peer evaluations to improve teaching delivery.
- Comply with all institutional policies and processes.
- Consult with students to provide academic support to classes lectured.
- Manage information, which includes but is not limited to e-mails, calendar, telecons, meetings etc
- Complete reports accurately and timeously
Honours Degree required
Qualification in Education (PGCE or equivalent) or Training and Development an added advantage
Registered Assessor and Moderator an added advantage
At least 3 5 years experience lecturing/ teaching
Proven track record of improving student success rates
Saturday work required